Friday, August 19, 2011

8/19/2011
4
Remember the countdown last summer? Well, it's that time of the year again. And in case anyone doubts my excitement about our upcoming vacation, let me just give you a teaser of what we'll be experiencing very shortly:


Jealous yet? Well, you can take comfort in the fact that you don't have to travel up there with us. Going by airplane with three children (that includes two lap children) will be an adventure. Three children, three car seats, one stroller, one baby sling, one toy bag, one diaper bag, two violins, one camera, three life jackets, one big grocery list, and.... oh yeah, clothes for five people for one week. Am I forgetting anything? And, even better, we managed to catch the same flight as the rest of my family. The airlines didn't know what they were getting themselves into. It will be fun to share the daunting task of organizing all of the necessary island items and figuring out how to carry it all - with the distinct disadvantage of only having two hands (each).

And, assuming we survive the airport and subsequent trip to my grandparents' house, we can all take one collective breath and have this to look forward to:

In our recent Deyly News family publication my younger siblings pulled together a list of the top 100 reasons why you should go to Onset Island. Here are a few of my favorites:

Hermit crab races, boat horns, boardwalks, watching spider crabs, dark paths at night, sand in the sheets, seaweed hair, muffins in the morning, bobbing boats at buoys, sun sparkles on the bay, shivering, towels flapping on the line, Blue Fish slapping the water, salt water taffy, sitting on the sea wall, roaming around aimlessly, beach grass on bare legs, cold hot chocolate, brushing your teeth in a paper cup, shell cuts on your feet, kayaking, night swimming, morning coffee....

Now I'm ready to face that plane flight.

4 comments:

  1. Jealous! Yes, even plane flight and all. It sounds like a wonderful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a lot to pack! If you need an extra suitcase let us know! Have fun! (I am serious about the suitcase, we have some giant ones.)

    ~Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say I think you are one brave gal to take a trip like that. :) But maybe it is easier than it sounds. And I love the new blog look! The birds are very you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. salt water taffy?
    I'm curious! =)

    Have fun Elissa... I'm sure it will be a very FULL experience (memories, excitement, God's presence and handiwork, & loads of family fun)!

    We just had a week together as a family & it went by so quickly. Enjoy the little moments!

    I can't wait to hear how it is & to see pictures of your adventures later!

    ReplyDelete