Monday, August 2, 2010

8/02/2010
2
Oh, northwest. Sometimes I miss you.


I miss this kind of beauty. Rugged, raw, strikingly wild beauty. And I do miss the conversations Clay and I had almost every week (at least during the warm months)..."What would you like to do this weekend?" "Oh, you know. Go hiking or camping at Mt. Hood, the Oregon coast, Mt St Helens, or maybe Crater Lake."

Our options are just a tad more limited down here in the midwest. But despite my moments of nostalgia we have definitely moved on to something bigger and better. The thing is, every stage in life is like this. The natural progression is to move on in maturity in our physical lives as well as spiritual and emotional. We learn more about God's nature when we sacrifice the freedom of youth and singleness to the richness of marriage (figuratively, not necessarily literally =p). We learn even more when we sacrifice the convenience and ease of childless marriage when we find new fulfillment in the increase of family and the reward of little ones. Every stage requires new sacrifices and new challenges but the rewards and blessings that follow are beyond what we imagine.

I loved the northwest (see this post for a few more things I miss). But I have found the beauty in Missouri. We can share our lives with family. And we have found a place where we can sink our roots in and BUILD.

They shall build houses and inhabit them; They shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit. They shall not build and another inhabit; They shall not plant and another eat; For as the days of a tree, so shall be the days of My people, and My elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands. They shall not labor in vain, nor bring forth children for trouble; for they shall be the descendants of the blessed of the Lord, and their offspring with them.
-
Isaiah 65:21-23 NKJV
We can work on our home and land (okay, so it's not technically ours yet...but we have aspirations =) ) and build a veritable paradise for our family and actually enjoy the fruits of our labors. Hopefully for years and years to come. And hopefully with our children's children coming over to enjoy it when our own children start putting down their roots.

No other work is just quite as satisfying.

2 comments:

  1. Your photos help me to appreciate still being in this rugged & raw beauty! What really impressed me, however, were your comments on giving up the freedom of singleness for the "richness" of marriage, as this is a journey I'm currently taking. Thanks for offering your wisdom, having gone before me!

    ReplyDelete