Monday, January 25, 2016

1/25/2016
At our family Christmas celebration my sister and her family arrived bearing, among many other wonderful things, this delicious black-eyed pea dip. It being close to New Years, it was a festive contribution to the meal. And a strong magnet to keep us all hovering around the kitchen island all afternoon long. 

I decided to try my hand at it the next week.
                                                                      ......It's really addictive....


But before my sister sent me the recipe she used, I also stumbled across Pioneer Woman's version, and I decided to try a combination. I even made two separate bowls so I could taste and compare the different dressings and see which one we liked better (we were having friends over so we didn't eat it ALL ourselves...). The winner (in our humble opinion) was the Skinny Taste recipe my sister used. However, I did enjoy the additional veggies I added in, so here was the combo recipe I ended up copying down into my own cooking binder:

Black-Eyed Pea Salsa

Veggies
2 cans black-eyed peas
1 can corn
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 stalks green onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
1 medium avocado, diced

Dressing
3 T. lime juice
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt

Rinse and drain the black-eyed peas and add to all the chopped veggies, except for the avocado. Mix up dressing and pour over veggies. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving, and add in avocado just before serving. You may want to 1.5-2x the dressing recipe for all those veggies, depending on personal taste. Serve with tortilla chips or pita crackers!



You may notice that I don't actually have black-eyed peas in my black-eyed pea salsa pictures. (whoops.) That's because when I went to the store they were completely out of black-eyed peas. Apparently they hadn't restocked after everyone else made black-eyed pea salsa for New Years. So we settled for beans.... They weren't as good, but they sufficed as an alternative.  

Notice that charming new wall tile with plovers all over it? It was a gift from my sister-in-law....and I LOVE it.

We ate our leftover salsa with rice as a side for steak dinner (along with *amazing* sweet potato fries and honey mustard dipping sauce   Mmmmm). I think it would be a very versatile (and healthy) addition to a lot of meals!

0 comments:

Post a Comment